Tuesday 18 April 2006

Why I Write Blogs

I had an interesting conversation about blogging a while ago. A friend of mine who also blogs suggested that I'd get more readers if I'd focus on a select few topics instead of, well, writing whatever crosses my mind. I've thought about it, and it's probably true.

I'd probably get the Linux/XML geeks interested if I focused on Debian and getting my favourite XML tools to run on wine. I'd get the movie buffs if I wrote regularly on the classics I screen at the Draken every week, and I might even get some of the Aspies out there if I gossiped on Wrong Planet more. And there are dozens of other subjects I could focus on, stuff that I know enough about to write blogs.

But you know what? I don't care. I don't write this to satisfy any particular group out there. I write because it's a great way to let out steam while honing my writing skills. If a post can help someone to set up XMetaL on Linux, well, good for you, but that's not why I write. I write because I like to write, and blogging is better than hiding the results in drawers.

Those of you who speak Swedish, on the other hand, can jump to my Swedish-language blog, where I actually try to stay on topic. It's my commentary on local stuff, the kind that only matters to the Swedish-speaking population.

As for the rest of you, well, WYSIWYG!

No comments: