Sunday 19 October 2014

OS X Upgrade

I upgraded my MacBook Pro to the new OS X version, Yosemite, yesterday. Some observations:
  • The new system font looks great. I'm really glad they finally realised how crappy the old one was.
  • As expected, the upgraded zapped my rEFInd bootloader. I can no longer dual boot, so no more Ubuntu until I've rerun the rEFInd script. Unfortunately the word on the web is that the bootloader becomes awfully slow, so I think I'll wait.
  • The new dock is sort of ugly and sort of old-fashioned. Didn't it use to look like this, a couple of versions ago?
  • And speaking of looks, it all feels to me as something that might have happened if Apple had merged with ToysRus. Which isn't the case, as far as I know, so it probably means that the iOS camp at Apple is winning.
  • I'm feeling a bit cheated because the Handoff features require a newer computer than my mid-2010 model. I would have loved to test them out.
I'm pretty sure I'll have more to say in a few days. For now, though, I'll just hit Publish.

No comments: